Charles W. Snow Druggist
Digger Odell Publications © 2007
Charles W. Snow
Charles W. Snow is the pioneer druggist of Syracuse. Although he has been engaged in business considerably over half a century, he is still active and energetic. When he first went into the business, Mr. Snow says, the proprietary or patent medicines did not exceed 200 in number, and the popular sellers numbered a couple of dozen. In those days sugar and gelatine coated pills were unknown. The doctors prescribed pills, syrups and mixtures made up by the drug gists. The prices of drugs in those days were about the same as they are at present. Many articles were sold in drug stores then which are not kept to-day.
Mr. Snow was born at Peterboro, Madison County. March 11, 1835. While he was an infant the family moved to a farm near Messina Springs and in 1840 settled in Syracuse, where the father engaged in various business occupations until his death, in 1854. Charles W. Snow determined. when a young man, to be a druggist, and on April 1, 1850 entered the pharmacy of William B. Tobey as clerk. Mr. Snow remained with Mr. Tobey as a clerk four years, after which he became a partner in the business, when he was about 19 years of age. The partnership continued for 12 years, up to 1886. and Mr. Snow achieved a reputation as being one of the most energetic, methodical, practical and successful of the younger business men of the State. In 1866 he severed his business connections with Mr. Tobey and opened a drug store in East Genesee street. Mr. Snow upon taking his new store added wholesaling to his retail business and built up a prospers us trade in that location, where he remained 22 years. He purchased the block in which his store was located and rebuilt it to suit his needs. Large as the building was, it was inadequate. however, and Mr. Snow purchased a site in South Warren street, north of the Government Building, and erected there the first large fireproof building in Syracuse. Mr. Snow's building when completed towered above all the other buildings in Syracuse. He conducts a retail and whole sale drug business, which is one of the largest in the State. The Snow building is an eight-story edifice and was completed in 1887. Mr. Snow has refrained from holding political office, al though he has always taken an active interest in the public affairs of the city, having served as president of the Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Snow has been a director of the First National Bank since 1887, and is now a vice-presi dent. He is a trustee of the Onondaga County Sayings
Bank and was chairman of the new High School Commis sion. Mr. Snow married in October 20, 1863, Harriet L., only daughter of Dr. Nelson C. Powers, of Syracuse. They have two children, Nelson P.. who is engaged in business with his father, and Mrs. Irving S. Merrill, of Syracuse.