Winkelmann & Brown Drug Company

Digger Odell Publications 2007

J. H. WINKELMANN.

The drug business has witnessed, possibly, greater changes than any other branch of commercial enterprise, and in no department of it have changes made greater invasions than in the jobbing or wholesale branch. The sweep, and competition now existing, demand a comprehensive knowledge and a rounded experience, without which success is hardly predicable, and even with which a large and substantial success is the result of vigorous and continuous work, of cautious executive and able administrative ability. Among the wholesale drug houses of the country none stands higher than "The Winkelmann & Brown Drug Company," of Baltimore, Md., of which Mr. J. H. Winkelmann is President and a c t i v e manager, and for which position he is abundantly equipped by a continuous and uninterrupted e x - perience of over thirty years of active business. Mr. Winkelmann w a s born in the city of Baltimore, and was educated in the public schools of that city, entering the employ of the well known house of A. Vogeler & Co., July l, 1858. He started, as does every one entering a house where the old fashioned German ideas of business prevail, at the bottom; but as no one need stay there, if lie has a will to reach higher, it was not very long before he began that course of promotion, which conn until he became full partner of the house, and which has made him president of the company, whose affairs he now manages. The positions which he occupied from his entry to the business, were gained by faithful service, continuous application, unflagging industry, and inflexible integrity; and these characteristics, emphasized by years of unbroken continuance, exhibit themselves in the busy and active habits of Mr. Winkelmann; for no one in the company or its employ is a more persistent worker than its president.

About 1872, the members of the firm of A. Vogeler & Co., recognizing the importance and necessity of dividing their business into distinct departments, arranged to conduct the specialty (proprietary) branch under the firm name of A. Vogeler & Co., the manufacturing branch under the style Vogeler, Meyer & Co., and the drug business under the firm name of Vogeler, Son & Co.; afterwards changed to the name Vogeler, Winkelmann &, Co., of which Mr. Winkelmann was the executive partner, until he sold out his interest in the fall of 1883, and entered business on his sole account, on January 1st, 1884. Of all these firms Mr. Winkelmann was a full and active partner. When he had decided to enter business on his own account, he sold his interests in the proprietary and manufacturing branches of the old firms, and was, in consequence in position to give his undivided personal attention to the new business. It soon grew to such dimensions, that he found it to exceed the volume of the old drug firm's business, and well nigh to tax the energy of one man in its management, no matter how capable physically or practically he might be. Business continued to increase, and trade far and near was seeking the new house because of its methods and facilities of business, when the unfortunate circumstance, so dreaded by all merchants, but by drug jobbers especially, a disastrous fire on Sunday, September 2nd, 1888, swept the block in which Mr. Winkelmann's fine warehouse was situated, absolutely destroying every vestige of stock and leaving only the iron front standing.

Availing himself of the courtesy of his former business partner, Mr. A. C. Meyer, who tendered the use of his magnificent offices and warehouses, and of Vogeler, Son & Co. (and all other drug jobbers) who offered their stocks as sources of supply, Monday morning, September 3rd, found Mr. Winkelmann transacting business as usual, surprised naturally, but not disconcerted. The question of continuing at the old location, or seeking a new one with increased facilities, having to be decided he made such arrangements as led to the union of the old and well known drug firm, W. H. Brown & Bro, with his own under , the title of The Winkelmann Brown Drug Co., a regularly incorporated body of which, as we have said above Mr. Winkelmann is president and manager. The business of the old firm of W H. Brown Bro., included an immense and increasing trade in triple and quadruruple extracts and perfumes, which can go to the new company, a this branch of the busing has grown to be one of t largest of any manufacturfing perfumery company in the country. The manufacturing speciality branch of the business one of constantly increasing development, until day the products of t company are not only distributed all over the United States, but through out Central America and well into South America The druggists' sundry and fancy specialty stock the largest in the way South.

The enterprise of A Winkelmann is quip thoughtful and aggressive rather than showy a: demonstrative. It see for results rather than 1 renown, and expresses self in his own business in persistently pushing every department to do very best; and in the various enterprises with which he is connected, as stock holder, or director, counselling such courses and measures, as will, by intelligent and painstaking find to try, produce a continuity of satisfactory results, rather than intermittent surprises of exceptional character. Mr. Winkelmann is genial and ever courteous manner, the model man of business, as such a one as every man likes to befriend. He is more than liked by the "Commercial Travelers' Fraternity," and the newspaper man who calls on him sure of a gentlemanly and pleasant recepttion, if not an order. The offices, warehouses and laboratory of the company are located at 31 Hopkins Place, and are among the best , appointed for their special purpose in the country.